Dosing for infants (≤12 months)
EPI due to CF
- Caregivers should administer CREON prior to every feeding
- The CREON capsule or its contents should not be crushed or chewed
- Do not mix CREON capsule contents directly into formula or breast milk
- Contents of the CREON 3,000 lipase-unit capsule may be put directly in the infant’s mouth right before feeding with formula or breast milk
- The contents of the CREON capsule can be sprinkled onto soft food like applesauce or jarred baby food. Do not store CREON that has been mixed with food
- Give the child enough formula or breast milk to completely swallow the CREON capsule contents or CREON food mixture
- Care should be taken to ensure that the entire dose is swallowed and not left in the mouth as it can cause irritation of the oral mucosa
Tips for giving enzymes to your baby
A helpful video for you to share with your patients.
Hold the capsule upright so that you can read the word CREON on the capsule.
Carefully twist off the top portion of the capsule.
Sprinkle the contents of the capsule directly into the infant’s mouth, or mix the contents in a small amount of room temperature acidic soft food such as applesauce or jarred baby food. Do not mix CREON with formula or bottled breast milk. If you sprinkled CREON on soft food, feed it to the child immediately. Do not store CREON that is mixed with food.
Give the child enough liquid to completely swallow the CREON contents or the CREON and food mixture. Look in the child’s mouth to make sure that all of the medicine has been swallowed. Any medicine left in the mouth may cause irritation.